Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thought #7

Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds.
- Matthew 14: 19

Unfortunately we all get tired.  Can you imagine not having to sleep or eat or do any of that in order to be revived?  We would all be an Energizer Bunny.  (I wonder if that would ever get boring.)

So many times I get wrapped up in work.  A maniac.  My only goal is to finish the job, perfect the final piece and all together succeed.

But now I've got to sit back and ask myself if I'm doing this right?  I mean, I do all this work, but to what end?  Who's it for?  What's it even for?  Okay.  School.  Yeah, but seriously, I won't always be a student.  So when student life ends, what am I working for?  The "real world, " you say.  Well do tell, what is this real world you speak of?

Honestly.  This verse shows four things:
1) Jesus
2) disciples (or us)
3) crowds (or all who look on, but may not understand quite yet)
4) and some sort of food blessed by God.   

And it shows them in a particular order.  

Here the disciples are up on the mountainside with Jesus at twilight learning from him and it's supposedly dinner time.  Naturally, it's time for people to leave, have dinner and get back to the norm.  This normal thinking isn't what occurs though, at least, not in the mind's of the crowds gathered; it appears the disciples want people to get on their way so they can as well.  That's nice and all, but it doesn't happen.

The story goes the disciples collected what food they stored up, gave it to Jesus then Jesus broke the bread and gave it to them first.  

Am I working on myself first?  Apparently, my thinking can be completely wrong on the whole situation where I just want to fall back into the norm and all, but then something changes.  The Lord speaks.  The disciples listen.  The disciples act on what they were told.  They get given food, first, in order to then give the food out to the crowds.  

So, am I working on myself first?  I mean, I want to be able to give out to people.  I want them to know what I know.  I want them to have the love for God that I have.  I want them just to understand, to grow, to experience life and all that God has for them.

But what end am I working to because I can't give unless I'm in a position to receive first in hope of giving back to all in need.

The end goal is giving.  

No comments: