Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thought #39

For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.
- Psalm 112: 6

I drove down Lower College Pond and watched clouds take flight.  The fog boiled over the surface of the water.  The wind swept it like a broom taken to dust.  It was before eight in the morning.  The day was ready.  And I went on.

So I have this Hollywood-esk picture of what dating's meant to be.  An almost It's A Wonderful Life outlook.  Where boy meets girl, but both are shy so barely any "hello" or "nice to meet you" or "wow, you are completely gorgeous" is spoken even though that's all going through their minds.  Where notes are passed across the classroom.  Blushing's in order.  And then come the Winter Formal or Sadie Hawkins the "big" question's asked: "Will you go to the dance with me?"  One thing leads to another and soon you're going steady, as it were.  Boy gives girl his pin. Girl wears boy's letterman jacket.  Then parking during sunsets spent up on cliff sides overlooking a fading world is a must.  The rest is history.

Well, what about that ideal relationship?  That relationship declaring, "no matter what may come to be - no matter what - we will work with this to make it happen"?  Or that relationship waiting overseas looking forward to the day when embracing is all there will ever be because boy just does not want to let girl go?

Then there is always that soldier going off to war on some foreign soil leaving his beloved behind till one day when he comes back for her thinking.  The scenario that says, "I will write you everyday."  "I will keep your photo close."  "I will always remember you."  "And by all this, you will know my love for you.  So please don't cry and please don't mourn; I'll be home soon."

That relationship defined by the hours going back and forth to check the post.  Where anticipation keeps the days fresh for lovers spent apart.  And where nothing's really a guessing game because all doubts are calmed by randomly sent flowers or telephone calls made just to say, "you're beautiful."  That relationship, which for all its worth, is simple: "I love you."

Well, I may not have it all figured out yet, but to me, love is simple.  And I know this from what I have with God.  I have drives through the state forest at breaking day.  Drives past evaporating ponds, past a world that apparently longs for what's above.  And maybe this evaporation, morning dew after nightly falling skies is some sort of hint that we truly do live among the heavenlies; I guess it only takes a change of perspective to notice it.  It only takes a morning drive.

The one thought I have in the car is silent.  I don't know what to say.  Words aren't necessary.  I look around and know the Lord remembers me.  I know my love is secure in Him.  And that's ideal.

Tomorrow I may not see the same sights, but God's letter to me will still come in the mail.  It will be different though.  It might not come as a vacuumed up pond, but something will catch my eye to re-assure me of God's brilliance in this whole love affair.  For now I play the anticipation game.  I wonder what will come next.  And I go on spending my time in reality knowing this thing with God is ideal.

And that's all reflected in my own tangible affaire de coeur.  So once she's in my arms I'll keep hold for as long as possibly can be.  And for now I will always remember her.  She's never gone, only oceans away.

I wait. 

No comments: