Monday, June 16, 2008

Confession XLV

To whom it may concern:

My mouth is parched.  Starved of water.  Starved of drink.  Of any smile like a sunset set behind clouds so darkness steals the day.  

I drove down zoned-out roads not paying attention.  I was alone.  But I nearly crashed my car.  Crashed into a blue van.  Crashed into bogs.  Into gray skies.  Lonely eyes.  Watered tears.

I told her, "I'm just getting through it.  That's all I can do.  Just get through it."

She replied, "That's sad."  She was just going to bed when I spoke with her.  "I'll speak to you tomorrow," she said.  "Be happy?"

And with silence I knew it was time to leave her be.  She needed to sleep.  To dream.  To go wherever God takes her.

"I'll try" was my goodbye.  But I had no idea how to actually get through this.  My summer was semi-planned out.  Come August I'd be leaving the country.  Entering some sort of strange future that I had no clue of.  But all I knew is that God was on my side.  And that's all I had to go on - trust.

The Lord is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
- Psalm 118: 14



No comments: