Monday, June 9, 2008

Confession XLI

Apply your heart to instruction
and your ear to the words of knowledge.
- Proverbs 23: 12

He told me he thinks about her a lot.  That he just wants to speed up time and give her all the hours in a day.  He said he would give her the world, but she is just that far away.

I had to rush to work today.  I sped over hills and rounded corners like the road was a race track.  I missed the pond.  Missed the fog that lingers over it like a child shyly frightened to dip even his toe into the unknown.  I missed the sunrise.  Missed the fenced-in light behind rows of trees.  And missed what God offered me to wake up to.  

I did it all to be at work on time.  I did it so I fit into a schedule.  So life could be planned to the T where I met the itinerary right on time. 

Was it worth it?

Too much of the time I rush around.  I spend hours in the car going this way and that.  And most of the  time I'm driving over the speed limit.  Get that.  I barely limit myself in those regards.  It's like I'm better than that sign telling me to drive within the regulation.  I'm better than that system.  Why slow down?  Why wait?  

"I'm more important than the law."

"I've got to be there" - wherever there is - "now!"

She told him the waiting's hard.  And he agreed.  She says it hurts.  And he knows that anxious pain all too well.  But all he can do is wait.

I wonder if what I missed along my drive this morning will be in the sunset tonight?  You know how sometimes you just want to tell God what to do.  You just want to sit down with the Old Man and be frank with Him.  Convince Him that He should be doing things this way instead of that way.  Because your buddies and all; that's what buddies do, right?

You know, you sit down with Him.  Chat for a little while.  Throw back some brews.  Shoot the breeze.  And simply relax together.  Because, you know, you just want to show Him that He could be doing things a little differently, which would definitely be beneficial to your own self.

To a certain extent, that's how it is.  Not to throw out pre-determination , or the Lord being King over our lives, or anything which even hints at Him not being the God Almighty.  But I'm saying that we are in relationship.  We are in a position to talk to the Creator even though it might feel awkward speaking to someone, something, some type of Being who created the heavens and the earth and everything in between.  We are given the opportunity to hold conversation.

We are given to the Lord and we made that decision ourselves.

You see, when I rush around I forget about what I'm a part of.  I just want it my way and I want it now.  I don't want to slow down in those instances, but it's in the taking-the-foot-off-the-pedal process where I notice God the most in this relationship.  Where I'm able to appreciate His splendor.  Where I'm able to understand how He's leading me in life.  Glimpses into where He's leading me as well.

When I slow down I'm more a part of a real relationship that's constantly evolving.

And so it's not about your doing whatever you can to fit into some strict time table for life.  Though making it to work on time is a plus.   But it's about being open to the idea that you are in relationship with the God of the universe 24/7.  That the relationship is always going on around you, with you.  That no matter what you will not miss out on anything.  

But realize that you also have to be willing to slow down in order to understand the supernatural not-out-of-reach conceptualization of life: God in relationship with you.

And.  That.  Relationship.  Is.  Life.


No comments: